Tips for Safely Packaging and Shipping Your Media
While most shipping companies take precautions to prevent digital storage devices from taking damage in transit, you should always pack your shipment carefully to ensure that your case arrives in the best possible condition. This is particularly important if you need to recover information from a device that has sustained physical damage.
Secure Data Recovery Services offers the following tips to keep your media safe during shipping:
1. Pack your device tightly with high-quality materials. We generally recommend wrapping sensitive media tightly with several inches of bubble wrap. Tape the bubble wrap on all sides. Never use styrofoam packing peanuts, as they do not provide complete protection.
2. Use electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection where applicable.
Hard drives have exposed printed circuit boards (PCB), and they require protection against static discharge. You can find anti-static bags at most electronic stores and some shipping offices.
3. Choose an appropriate shipping container. You should not use padded envelopes, cartons or any other container that could break apart during shipping. We recommend a cardboard or plastic box. Make sure that the container is properly sealed on all sides before shipping it.
4. Get a tracking number for your shipment. This will allow you to get information about unexpected delivery delays. Shipping insurance is often worthwhile for devices with a high material value, but shipping insurance usually will not cover the costs that result from lost data.
5. Clearly mark your package. Put your case number on several sides of your box. Do not list the contents of the box (for instance, “hard drive” or “computer parts”). Marking your box with your service ID number will ensure fast processing when your case arrives at our office.
Identify your case. Write your service ID number clearly on three sides of your package in bold print. This will allow our staff to easily identify your media when it arrives
6. Always ship to the address that our customer service team provides. Do not ship to another Secure Data Recovery Services office location. Retain a copy of your shipping documents and service ID number.
Ship to the address listed on your case setup email. Keep a copy of your case setup number and shipping information.
These general tips apply to all devices. For more detailed information regarding specific devices, read the section below.